Examples of Foundational Practices (Tier 1)
- Building positive relationships
- Creating an environment that helps children feel connected and safe
- Setting classroom rules
- Teaching emotional literacy
- Encouraging appropriate behavior
- Managing challenging behavior
Note: Descriptions of tiered social emotional practices contain some elements from the following sources: CSEFEL, OSEP Technical Assistance Center on PBIS, TACSEI, and Webster-Stratton, C., & Reid, M.J. (in press). Supporting Social and Emotional Development in Preschool Children. In V. Buysse & E. Peisner-Feinberg (Eds.), Handbook of Response to Intervention in Early Childhood. Baltimore, MD: Brookes.